RECIPE: Grapefruit glazed crispy duck breast
Cooking for one is neither sociable nor economic. The enjoyment that comes from cooking for loved ones and swapping service dishes across a table has enthused many a dinner party but when you are preparing a meal for one kitchen time can be bitter sweet. Supermarkets are not forgiving of the single bird flying solo favouring bulk buying for couples and families. We all know it’s usually cheaper to buy the family pack of pears that one at a time. This dish is both indulgent and easy. There are minimal ingredients and even fewer leftovers.
Grapefruit glazed crispy duck breast
1 x Duck Breast (skin on)
1 x Grapefruit
1 x Pomegranate
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp mango chutney
1 tsp butter
1 tsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper
1. Preheated your oven to 200°C, pat the skin of the duck breast to dry completely before scoring the fat and rubbing a pinch of salt onto the meat and set aside while you prepare the glaze.
2. Slice the grapefruit into quarters and removed the segments of fruit from one of the quarters and place to the side before juicing the rest.
3. Heat the juice in a pan with the balsamic vinegar, sugar, mango chutney and a pinch of garlic and onion powder. When it comes to the boil let it reduce slowly to form a thick glaze.
4. Place skin side down in a hot non-stick pan on a medium heat without oil for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Pour off the fat regularly and seal the other side for 1 minute.
5. Place the duck breasts skin side up on a rack and spoonful half of the glaze over the meat before placing in a roasting tin in the middle of the pre-heated oven. Cook for 15-18 minutes, depending how you like your duck cooked.
6. When the duck is cooked to your liking rest the meat in a warm place for 5-10 minutes before serving.
7. When serving spoon the rest of the glaze over the sliced meat and sprinkle some pomegranate and mint over the top for a burst of freshness.